Reiki (sometimes mispronounced as /rejˌiki/, it is properly pronounced /reːki/) is a pseudoscientific therapy based on the following beliefs:
- there is a universal and inexhaustible spiritual “energy” which can be used for healing purposes
- through an attunement process carried out by a Reiki Master, any person can gain access to this “energy”
- this “energy” will flow through the Reiki Master’s hands when he/she places his/her hands near the patient
- this “energy” has human-like intelligence
- as this “energy” is intelligent, there is no need for diagnosis. This “energy” will automatically judge the disease and will heal the patient.
It can be dangerous, or even life-threatening, if someone avoids evidence-based medicine and relies upon Reiki for treatment.
Keep Reading: Reiki – RationalWiki.