Friday the 13th is synonymous with bad luck and superstitions — so much so that some people flat-out refuse to fly, make business deals or get married on this fateful day.
As many as 21 million people in the United States are fearful of Friday the 13th, according to the Stress Management Center and Phobia Institute in Asheville, N.C., which estimates that $800 million to $900 million is lost in business every Friday the 13th because of fears of the doomed day. [Top 10 Phobias]
But is there really a reason to be so apprehensive of a day that’s technically just like any other? Of course not, scientists say. You can pick out any date on the calendar or any day in history and find some weird stuff that’s happened. For fun, we’ve rounded up 13 events — some tragic, some just plain strange — that happened on a Friday the 13th: 13 Strange Things That Happened on Friday the 13th | LifesLittleMysteries.com.
- Friday the 13th! (newsfromthespiritworld.com)
- Friday The 13th: 13 Things To Know About The Unluckiest Of Days (ibtimes.com)
- Twitter Trending Topic: Funny Friday the 13th Tweets (ibtimes.com)
- Friday 13th – Just Another Day? (learningmadefun.typepad.com)
- Adopt a Black Cat for $13 This Friday the 13th (laist.com)
- The History of Friday the 13th (eogn.com)
- Fear factor: It’s Friday the 13th again (content.usatoday.com)