Robbins is a successful self-help guru with a schtick that depends upon the scientific illiteracy of his audience. After a session of telling people how to “unleash the power within” he demonstrates their new-found power by inviting them to walk barefoot over hot burning coals while thinking about cool moss. This is meant to demonstrate the power of mind over matter. This is, of course, nonsense.
The Hot Coal Deception
Many physicists have used the hot coal demonstration to teach a bit of elementary physics, as there is a very simple explanation for how people can walk over hot coals in their bare feet.
Keep Reading: Skepticblog » Firewalk Mishap.
- Come Firewalk With Me: The Physics of Hot Coals (shortformblog.com)
- Firewalk Mishap (theness.com)
- Tony Robbins Firewalk (lifewithsarcoidosis.com)
- Firewalk Mishap (skepticblog.org)
- Firewalkers at Robbins seminar got burned, but most don’t. How? – msnbc.com (bodyodd.nbcnews.com)