Spontaneous Human Combustion (SHC) is one of those classic pseudosciences that have been around for a long time – like astrology, Big foot, and the Bermuda Triangle. I put it in the same category as the myth that we only use about 10% of our brain capacity; it’s widely believed, but no one really cares that much. It’s just something people hear about and have no reason to doubt, so they lazily accept it. I did when I was younger (in my pre-skeptical days), you hear about it on TV and think, “Huh, isn’t that interesting.”
It’s therefore a good opportunity to teach critical thinking skills. People’s brains are clogged with myths and false information, spread by rumor and the media, and accepted due to a lack of having the proper critical thinking filters in place. It’s disappointing, however, when people who should know better, or whose job it is to know better, fall for such myths.
Recently an Irish coroner concluded that a man died from SHC, and it is reported:
The West Galway coroner, Ciaran McLoughlin, said there was no other adequate explanation for the death of Michael Faherty, 76, also known as Micheal O Fatharta.
The coroner said: “This fire was thoroughly investigated and I’m left with the conclusion that this fits into the category of spontaneous human combustion, for which there is no adequate explanation.”
First, let’s play a game of name-that-logical-fallacy. The core fallacy the coroner is committing is the argument from ignorance. The investigation could not find a cause for the fire, therefore here is the specific cause – SHC. The conclusion should rather be – we don’t know what caused the fire.
The coroner said the case “fits into the category” of SHC – but how?
Keep Reading: NeuroLogica Blog » Spontanous Human Stupidity.
- Spontaneous Human Combustion (illuminutti.com)
- Professor’s breakthrough on human combustion theory (illuminutti.com)
- Spontaneous Human Combustion Explained With Belly Pork (theepochtimes.com)
- Spontaneous Human Combustion Explained With Belly Pork? (zen-haven.dk)
- Humans Spontaneously Combustible? Ten Cases.Video (ramanan50.wordpress.com)
- Pig ash could reveal how people spontaneously combust (newscientist.com)
- UFO over Chilean Air Base (illuminutti.com)