Secrets of the Psychics – James Randi
Original broadcast: October 19, 1993
Description via PBS.org:
Can psychics predict the future? Many people seem to think so. Others argue that, in most cases, so-called psychic experiences are really misinterpretations of events. In this episode of NOVA, magician and confirmed skeptic James Randi challenges viewers to weigh the evidence for and against the existence of psychic phenomena.
Randi argues that successful psychics depend on the willingness of their audiences to believe that what they see is the result of psychic powers. The program highlights some of the methods and processes he uses to examine psychics’ claims. Using his own expertise in creating deception and illusion, Randi challenges specific psychics’ claims by duplicating their performances and “feats,” or by applying scientific methods. His goal is to eliminate all possible alternative explanations for the psychic phenomena. He also looks for evidence that they are not merely coincidental. His arguments can motivate your class to discuss the differences between psychic performances and legitimate cases of unexplained phenomena.
- Do Scientists Fear the Paranormal? (illuminutti.com)
- Top 10 Psychic Debunkings (illuminutti.com)
- Uri Geller (illuminutti.com)
- Psychic arrested; Didn’t see it coming (illuminutti.com)
- Dead Wrong: Travel Channel’s The Dead Files (illuminutti.com)
- James Randi Videos Added! (illuminutti.com)
- James Randi exposes Uri Geller and Peter Popoff (ritholtz.com)