There may have been centuries of sightings with no proof of their existence, but a new study suggests belief in ghosts is growing in the UK.
More than half of those taking part (52 per cent) said they believed in the supernatural, a marked increase on the two previous comparable studies, in 2009 and 2005, which both found a level of around 40 per cent.
The survey also found that one in five claimed to have had some sort of paranormal experience.
Interest in the supernatural has become big business in recent years, with the popularity of television shows like Most Haunted, which starred Yvette Fielding, and the spread of so-called “ghost walks” around supposedly haunted parts of city centres. English Heritage (EH) and the National Trust have both begun to attract people to their properties by identifying which ones are said to be occupied by ghosts, among them Blickling Hall, in Norfolk, Dunster Castle, in Somerset, and Dover Castle, in Kent. EH even conducted a “spectral stocktake” of “hauntings” and unexplained events recorded at its sites.
The new study was carried out for the Association for the Scientific Study of Anomalous Phenomena (Assap), for its annual conference.
Dave Wood, chairman of the group, which is dedicated to the study of a wide range of unexplained experiences – from supposed hauntings to UFO sightings – said: “The rise in the numbers believing in ghosts is a surprise, and is significantly higher than what we consider to have been the historical average.
“It could be that in a society which has seen economic uncertainty and is dominated by information and technology, more people are seeking refuge in the paranormal, whereas in the past they might have sought that in religion.”
Among notable personalities said to have encountered ghosts is Winston Churchill, who is on a long list of people reported to have seen an apparition of former US president Abraham Lincoln, in the White House.
- Psychic accused of planting man in attic during ghost tour (illuminutti.com)
- Who you gonna call? Belief in ghosts is rising in UK (sott.net)
- Belief in Ghosts is Rising (sorendreier.com)
- Who you gonna call? Belief in ghosts is rising (orwellwasright.co.uk)
- Who you gonna call? Belief in ghosts is rising (telegraph.co.uk)
- North America and the UK: Nearly Half Believe in Ghosts (newsfromthespiritworld.com)
- Do you believe in ghosts? More and more Britons apparently do (metro.co.uk)
- Study Suggests Belief In Ghosts Is Growing (disinfo.com)