via The Soap Box
Ever hear of the term “Counter conspiracy theory” (which is in a conspiracy theory that is meant to counter another conspiracy theory)? Probably not, but you have probably read of a few of them (mostly when someone is having an argument with someone promoting a conspiracy theory).
So, I have decided to play Devil’e Advocate here and have listed ten counter conspiracy theories:
10. 9/11 conspiracy theories were invented by Al-Qaeda.
Ever since the 9/11 conspiracy theories started to show up, some people have made accusations that Al-Qaeda itself actually invented many of the 9/11 conspiracy theories, and even bribed certain people within the 9/11 Truth movement to spread these conspiracy theories.
The problem with this is that Al-Qaeda admits to committing the 9/11 attacks, and even criticized Iran’s president, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, for saying that the United States government did it.
Many have accused David Icke‘s primary conspiracy theory, that “Shape shifting reptilian aliens” control the Earth and impersonate leaders of the world, as being nothing more than a re-hashing of old Jewish conspiracy theories, and that “Shape shifting reptilian aliens” is actually a code word for “Jews”.
While it is possible that “Shape shifting reptilian aliens” is a code word for “Jews”, most antisemitic conspiracy theorists don’t bother to use such code words. Plus, David Icke is pretty much crazy as hell, so it’s actually possible that he really does mean “Shape shifting reptilian aliens”.
8. Alex Jones is a fraud.
While many negative things have been said about Alex Jones and the conspiracy theories that he promotes (which also usually gets debunked) one of the claims that is made against him is that he is just a fraud, and that he doesn’t even believe what he says, and that he is just making up conspiracy theories to make money from his followers.
It’s true that Alex Jones has made a lot of money from promoting conspiracy theories, and there is proof that he is very manipulative, the problem is that there is no 100% proof that he doesn’t believe in the conspiracy theories he promotes.
7. Police State conspiracy theories is made up propaganda.
While there is quite a number of “Police State” conspiracy theories (i.e. FEMA camps, false flag attacks, martial law, etc.) some people have accused these conspiracy theories of being nothing more than propaganda made up by extreme right wing groups as a way to help recruit, or at least attempt to justify their own actions.
While it is true that, like with most other conspiracy theories, police state conspiracy theories are made up, and are sometimes used as propaganda, with the exception of a few people, it can be pretty hard to tell if a person making such claims are doing so for propaganda purposes, or if they really do believe what they are saying.
6. “The invasion of Iraq was for oil” claims is nothing more than propaganda.
Even before the United States invaded Iraq in 2003, there were claims that the invasion was for nothing more than to get that country’s oil, and almost immediately there were counter claims that these accusations were actually being made up by those opposed the invasions, and even was created as a form of political propaganda (most of those accusations tend to be towards the Democrats and the former Iraqi government, but other groups are accused as well).
While it is true that many people who opposed the invasion also claim that it was for Iraq’s oil, the problem is that they are also very sincere in their beliefs, and most politicians (even those who opposed the invasion) tend not to make those claims either.
- Silicon Alley Insider: 11 Of The Wildest Technology Conspiracy Theories (businessinsider.com)
- Conspiracy Theories, Aliens, and the New World Order (tolerantpeople.com)
- The Conspiracy Theory Flowchart “THEY” Don’t Want You To See (illuminutti.com)
- Boston bomber Tamerlan Tsarnaev was a fan of Alex Jones’s InfoWars (illuminutti.com)
- Moon Landing Faked!!! Why People Believe in Conspiracy Theories (scientificamerican.com)
- The Conspiracy Theory Flowchart “THEY” Don’t Want You To See (crispian-jago.blogspot.com)
- Republicans Embrace Conspiracy Theory That DHS Is Buying Up Ammo (huffingtonpost.com)
- Infowars Confrontation: Boston Resident Blasts Dan Bidondi Over Marathon Bombing Conspiracy Theories (VIDEO) (huffingtonpost.com)