A zombie invasion is a problem that may seem to belong in a horror film rather than to real life, but, none the less, the British government believes it has worked out the best way to cope with one.
In the event of an apocalypse brought about by an army of the undead, civil servants would co-ordinate the military’s efforts to “return England to its pre-attack glory”, according to a Freedom of Information request that has revealed the country’s contingency plans.
The MoD (Ministry of Defence) would not lead efforts to plan for such a zombie attack or deal with the aftermath because that role rests with the Cabinet Office, which co-ordinates emergency planning for the Government.
Details about the authorities’ surprising level of readiness for a zombie onslaught emerged in a response to an inquiry from a member of the public.
The MoD (Ministry of Defence) replied: “In the event of an apocalyptic incident (eg zombies), any plans to rebuild and return England to its pre-attack glory would be led by the Cabinet Office, and thus any pre-planning activity would also taken place there.
“The Ministry of Defence’s role in any such event would be to provide military support to the civil authorities, not take the lead. Consequently, the Ministry of Defence holds no information on this matter.”
The Army is frequently called on to save the day in zombie films. Soldiers arrive in the nick of time, for example, to rescue the hero at the climax of Simon Pegg’s 2004 comedy Shaun of the Dead.
Last year, Leicester city council was forced to admit that it had no specific preparations for dealing with a zombie invasion, although the local authority stressed that certain aspects of its emergency plan would apply to any disaster. Bristol city council went rather further when asked what it would do in the event of an undead rampage through the West Country.
A senior official replied with a copy of a “top secret” internal strategy document setting out how the council would respond to a “zombie pandemic”.
MORE . . .
- British government reveals plan to fight zombie invasion (todayonline.com)
- Britain is well prepared to fight apocalyptic zombie invasion (telegraph.co.uk)
- Freedom Of Information Request Reveals British Government’s Plans For A Zombie Outbreak (businessinsider.com)
- Zombies: is Britain prepared for an attack? (news.uk.msn.com)
- Britain releases ‘zombie’ plan (upi.com)
- Britain Is Ready For A Zombie Apocalypse (huffingtonpost.com)
- If there’s an apocalyptic zombie invasion, rest assured, we’re well prepared (dailymail.co.uk)
- British Zombie Plan Revealed In Freedom Of Information Request (webpronews.com)
- British zombie plan reveals that England is ready for any apocalypse (examiner.com)