French officials ban access to sacred mountain which believers claim will be refuge from ‘Mayan apocalypse on December 21′
- Rumours say the mountain will burst open on December 21 to reveal an alien spaceship which will save those nearby from the apocalypse
- French police will control access to the mountain and village to stop expected hordes of New Age fanatics, sightseers and journalists
- December 21 is the estimated end of the Mayan long calendar, which some believes marks the end of the world as we know it
Fears the end of the Mayan calendar predicts the end of the world this coming December have run rife on the internet in recent years.
Less well known is the rumour that one particular mountain in south-west France will burst open on that day revealing an alien spaceship which will carry nearby humans to safety.
Well, if you were counting on that possibility to save you from the apocalypse, prepare to be disappointed. French officials have banned access to the Pic de Bugarach to avoid a rush of New Age fanatics, sightseers and, above all, journalists.
A hundred police and firefighters will also control approaches to the tiny village of the same name at the foot of the mountain, and if too many people turn up, they will block access there too.
Believers say the world will end on December 21, 2012, the end date of the ancient Mayan calendar, and they see Bugarach as one of a few sacred mountains sheltered from the cataclysm.
MORE . . .
- Doomsday mountain blocked: Apocalyptic Mayan Pic de Bugarach closed (sfluxe.com)
- Doomsday mountain blocked: Apocalyptic Mayan Pic de Bugarach closed (examiner.com)
- Mayan Doomsday Forecast: Really ?! (forbes.com)
- Chinese man blows life savings on ark to escape Apocalypse (PHOTOS) (rt.com)
- Apocalypse survival hope killed by the French (news.com.au)