Via The Soap Box
In a previous post I discussed how some conspiracy theorists aren’t really conspiracy theorists, and that those people should instead be called “conspiracy believers”.
While I did point out some basic differences between the two, I didn’t really go into to much detail into what those differences really are.
Here I have put together a list of things that conspiracy theorists tend to do that sets them apart from conspiracy believers:
Conspiracy theorists has certain words that they tend to use and is quite common for them to use in a conversation (or argument). Some of the more common words used are shill, sheeple, blue pill, red pill, and dis-info agent.
There are of course more then just that, but if you hang around enough conspiracy theorist websites (or get into an argument with a conspiracy theorist on Youtube) you’ll learn more of them.
Creating conspiracy theories
One of the primary things that set conspiracy theorists apart from conspiracy believers is that conspiracy theorists actually create conspiracy theories.
Many of these conspiracy theories tend to be either expanding on a already established conspiracy theory, or a conspiracy thats directed at them. Of course, sometimes conspiracy theorists create entirely new conspiracy theories as well.
While conspiracy believers might not become to emotional when discussing a conspiracy theory that they believe in, many conspiracy theorists on the other hand tend to become emotional when they discuss a conspiracy theory they believe. The levels of emotional reactions varies depending on how important the conspiracy theory is to that person, how much they believe the alledged conspiracy affects them, and if the person they are discussing the conspiracy theory with believes them or not.
The use of logical fallacies
While conspiracy believers try to avoid using logical fallacies, conspiracy theorists on the other hand tend to use them all the time, and appear to not even know that they are doing so.
- Info-Spats: Even Conspiracy Theorists Are Sick of Alex Jones (illuminutti.com)
- Listener Feedback: Conspiracies (Skeptoid) (illuminutti.com)
- 5 things I’ve noticed about… FEMA camps (illuminutti.com)
- Why people believe in conspiracy theories (illuminutti.com)
- Not all Conspiracy Theorists are Conspiracy Theorists (illuminutti.com)
- The Word “chemtrails” Was Not Invented By a Conspiracy Theorist, It Was Invented By the US Air Force. (oneworldchronicle.com)
- Conspiracy Theorists Worst Nightmares Confirmed: The US Government Is Poisoning Us! (conservativeread.com)
- Look What This ‘Conspiracy Theorist’ Had To Say Back in 1984: “A Disgusting Procedure For A Professed Free Society” (dprogram.net)