Many ghost hunters claim to see the faces and images of the deceased in everything from a smudgy mirror to a swirl of smoke rising from burgers on a barbecue. Religious people claim to see images of holy figures in everything from tree trunks to vines on a telephone pole.
Are these figures really showing themselves or is there something else going on?
«A psychological phenomenon involving a vague and random stimulus (often an image or sound) being perceived as significant. Common examples include seeing images of animals or faces in clouds, the man in the moon or the Moon rabbit, and hearing hidden messages on records when played in reverse.» – Wikipedia
«. . . a type of illusion or misperception involving a vague or obscure stimulus being perceived as something clear and distinct.
«Under ordinary circumstances, pareidolia provides a psychological explanation for many delusions based upon sense perception.» – The Skeptic’s Dictionary
In other words, our brains are hardwired to seek out and find faces.
Just HOW hardwired are we to see faces where none exist? Look at the following montage of photos and try to NOT see faces. Prepare to lose control of your mind to the power of pareidolia!!!! Bwahaha!!!!!!
- Jesus’ message delivered by bird excrement (doubtfulnews.com)
- Pareidolia (thisistypoegraphic.wordpress.com)
- The Faces of Mars (spacebucket.wordpress.com)
- The Fear And Curiosity Behind Ghosts (nameetshetty.wordpress.com)
- are you looking at me? (elainemcnulty.wordpress.com)
- The Ghost in the Microscope (elodieunderglass.wordpress.com)
- Spirit of Decay Optical Illusion (moillusions.com)