via The Soap Box
Up until a couple of weeks ago I use to believe that most conspiracy theorists were just a bit nutty, and perhaps hostile online towards skeptics and people who debunked conspiracy theories, but were relatively harmless, except for those who are violently mentally disturbed (example: Jared Lee Loughner), and that at the most were more likely to alienate themselves from friends and family then anything else, and thus do more harm to themselves then to others.
I no longer believe this.
The reason I no longer believe this is because of the massive amount of illegal harassment being done by conspiracy theorists towards the parents of the children who died in the Sandy Hook elementary school massacre, and towards the heros who’s efforts helped saved the lives of many more children.
While the claims made by conspiracy theorists that the attack was staged, or didn’t even occur in the first place, wasn’t something that fellow skeptics and debunkers like myself were not expecting (in fact, due to the predictability of conspiracy theorists we would have been more surprised if these claims were not made at all) what did surprise us was the sheer amount of slander and harassment (bordering on outright stalking) that has begun to occur.
Because of the actions of some conspiracy theorists in the wake of the Sandy Hook massacre I feel that I have been forced to re-examine my view of conspiracy theorists and their behavior, and that view is even more negative then it once was.
It appears that over the last few years as more and more conspiracy theories get debunked, the hostility of conspiracy theorists who continue to hold on to the beliefs continues to rise.
MORE . . .
- KTH: Newtown harassed by conspiracy theorists (illuminutti.com)
- The Trouble with Conspiracy Theories (illuminutti.com)
- Watergate and Iran-Contra: Two conspiracies that help disprove conspiracies theories (illuminutti.com)
- Sandy Hook Troof?! (illuminutti.com)
- The Illuminati controls the Music Industry (Embarrassing Conspiracy Theories) (illuminutti.com)
- The Most Paranoid Conspiracy Theorist of All (dailypaul.com)
- Conspiracy Theorists (Guest Voice) (themoderatevoice.com)
- Anderson Cooper Fires Back at Sandy Hook Conspiracy Theorists (streetknowledge.wordpress.com)
- Be a Proud Conspiracy Theorist, You’re in the Majority (ascendingstarseed.wordpress.com)