In the modern age, tales of mermaids fall under the same category as stories of minotaurs or dragons. Sure, they seem like neat ideas, but no one actually believes such creatures could exist. If that’s the case, then why have sailors across centuries reported seeing humanoid, aquatic creatures on the waves? Is there any grain of truth within the claims? Tune in to learn more about alleged mermaid sightings, the problem of evidence (or lack thereof) and more.
- Mermaid Sighting in Kiryat Yam: Real or Hoax? (wafflesatnoon.com)
- Discovery Documentary “Mermaids: The New Evidence” Proves Mermaids Are Real – Video (news.softpedia.com)
- Mermaids: The Body Found Documentary Still Fascinates (webpronews.com)
- Mermaids do Exist (oceanamermaid.wordpress.com)
- Real Mermaid Caught on Camera (Seen on Animal Planet) (disclose.tv)
- Where do mermaids come from? (georgiabluebooks.wordpress.com)
Part 1 of this 3 part series can be found here.
via The Soap Box
In a previous blog concerning the Discovery Networks docu-drama Mermaids: The Body Found I discussed how it isn’t possible for mermaids to hide for this long and never be found. Well, there is a very good reason why mermaids have never been found, and why they most likely don’t exist in the first place: It’s highly unlikely that humans could have evolved into mermaids (at least in the short period of time as the film depicts).
Most mermaids (including the ones in the film) are often depicted as having their legs being fused together into a tail, with their feet having evolved into a large flipper.
While there have cases of infants born with their legs fused, this is not an evolutionary process, but a very rare birth defect called Sirenomelia, and most infants that are born this way either don’t live very long, or they are still-born. Those that do manage to live for several years after they were born are only alive because of modern medicine and surgical techniques. Considering this it should be considered highly unlikely that someone born this way could live long enough to have children of their own (if they were even capable of having children in the first place, and most children born with Sirenomelia are usually born with underdeveloped reproductive organs, or none at all) or could even survive in the water. Also, considering the rarity of this birth defect it’s highly unlikely that enough people could be born like this in the first place to create a sizable population.
The reality in concerning the evolutionary process when it comes to limbs is that limbs usually do one of two things: they grow or they shrink to the point where they disappear.
Dolphins are a good example of both of this.
MORE . . .
Part 3 of this 3 part series can be found here.
- Mermaids: Why they really are a myth Part 1: Why they can’t hide (illuminutti.com)
- Monsters and Mermaids for Illustration Friday (theslumberingherd.com)
via The Soap Box – OCTOBER 23, 2012
Recently the Discovery Networks produced a fictional movie in the form of a documentary called Mermaids: The Body Found. While the movie was indeed a work of fiction, many people thought it was real, and it attempted to present that mermaids could theoretically be real.
The reality is that mermaids are not real. If they were indeed real, we would have known about them by now, despite the fact that they would be close to intelligent as us, if not as intelligent as us.
Mermaids would most likely be sea mammals, and despite the fact sea mammals can often stay under water for long periods of time, they would still need air to breath, and thus must come up to the surface occasionally.
Mermaids would also require a viable breeding population in order to keep the species going. Even endangered animals are occasionally seen in the wild. This includes sea creatures who would have a easier time staying hidden. Sea mammals especially, because as I said before hand, sea mammals must come up air, making it harder to hide from us if they intended to do that. The amount of ships on the oceans, and even the great deal of the population that lives along coast, would make it even harder for an sea mammal to remain hidden.
Another reason why mermaids most likely do not exist is because no bodies have ever been found beached.
MORE . . .
Part 2 of this 3 part series can be found here.
- Modernized Mermaid Costumes – This Mermaid Costume is Extravagant and Detail-Orientated (TrendHunter.com) (trendhunter.com)
- Real Life Mermaids In Florida Aquarium (VIDEO) (huffingtonpost.com)
In case you were wondering …
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), which usually deals with environmental matters like tsunamis and hurricanes, recently took the strange step of posting a statement on their website denying that mermaids exist.
- U.S. Government Denies Evidence of Mermaids, So Mermaids Definitely Exist [Mermaids] (gawker.com)
- NOAA Denies Existence of Mermaids (news.discovery.com)
- NOAA: “Mermaids Do Not Exist” (5newsonline.com)
- NOAA issues statement denying existence of mermaids (news.yahoo.com)
- Mermaids do not exist, says NOAA (cbsnews.com)
- Federal Agency Squashes Mermaid Rumors (huffingtonpost.com)