In a move no one saw coming, A British TV channel set up to offer dial-up psychic services has been fined for not telling viewers it’s all “for entertainment purposes only.”
Psychic Today, a 24-hour psychic network, was fined the equivalent of $19,079 U.S. for claiming on-air that its psychics could provide “accurate and precise” readings for callers, for offering anecdotal stories of successful predictions, and for making claims that presenters had helped solve crimes for the police, according to the Register.
The fines were laid down by Ofcom, an independent regulator of the British communications industry that has strict rules about how psychics can label their skills.
In one case, a psychic told viewers she was involved in the police investigation regarding the death of teenager named Milly Dowler, while another claimed she once accurately predicted that her friend would become friends with Michael Jackson.
Majestic TV, which holds the license for Psychic Today, told Ofcom that while the claims made in both cases were “factually correct,” the reference to Dowler was “unfortunate,” SkyNews reported.
According to a document the organization released in December 2011, anyone claiming to be in touch with a spirit guide or a dead person must qualify their powers by saying it’s “for entertainment purposes,” a phrase that must also be stated by the presenters and scrolled on screen.
Psychics are also prevented from predicting the future, offering life-changing advice, talking to the dead or even claiming to be accurate, the Register reported.
- Skeptical ‘Zombies’ Attack Alleged Psychic James Van Praagh (VIDEO) (illuminutti.com)
- Telly psychics fail to foresee £12k fine for peddling nonsense (go.theregister.com)
- Storage Wars Star: I’m Psychic & God Told Me What The Ratings Would Be – Listen To Her Bizarre Claims (radaronline.com)
- Beware the Psychic Scam (alternet.org)
- How to PROTECT YOURSELF against PSYCHIC ATTACKS AT ALL TIMES (sacredascensionmerkaba.wordpress.com)
By RICHARD JOHNSON via NYPOST.com
Jurors at the Jacko trial heard testimony from a surprise witness yesterday — the ghost of Michael Jackson!
Randy Phillips, CEO of concert promoterAEG Live, testified about a chat he had with his longtime friend Brenda Richie, who claimed to have talked to a medium who had channeled the spirit of The Gloved One after his 2009 death.
In the supernatural tête-á-tête, Jacko’s ghost allegedly absolved Dr. Conrad Murray of any guilt in his death and admitted he “accidentally killed himself,” Phillips said.
“Brenda called me to tell me that she was in communications with Michael either through a medium or directly,” Phillips told jurors about his talk with Richie, the ex-wife of singer Lionel Richie.
“She said Michael told her that it wasn’t Dr. Murray’s fault, that he had accidentally killed himself.”
Brian Panish, a lawyer for Michael Jackson’s family, objected to Phillips’ ghost story, calling it triple hearsay, since Phillips was relaying a chat from Richie, who had heard from a medium, who — allegedly — spoke to a dead Jacko.
Remarkably — over the laughter of courtroom spectators — LA County Superior Court Judge Yvette Palazuelos allowed Phillips’ explanation to stand.
- GTFOHWTBS: AEG CEO Randy Phillips Testifes He Spoke To Michael Jackson’s Ghost,”It Wasn’t Dr. Conrad Murray’s Fault” (bossip.com)
- michael jacksons ghost says conrad murray is innocent (thescottishsun.co.uk)
- Lionel Richie’s ex-wife says Michael Jackson’s ghost declared his death an accident (breakingnews.ie)
- MICHAEL Jackson’s death has been declared an accident – by his own GHOST (iamnotashamedofthegospelofchrist.com)
- Michael Jackson’s Ghost Testifies in Trial (weeklyworldnews.com)
- This is believable… (realfuzzypolitics.wordpress.com)
- Aeg Live Boss: ‘Michael Jackson’s Spirit Absolved Dr. Conrad Murray’ (contactmusic.com)
- Michael Jackson’s ghost ‘said death was an accident’ (digitalspy.co.uk)
- Michael Jackson so drunk before comeback announcement he had to be slapped sober (mirror.co.uk)
In the spirit of Halloween here are a few hilarious photos of people losing their sh*t in the Nightmares Fear Factory, Niagara Falls Canada. Click a photo to begin viewing. Enjoy 🙂
For more hilarious photos and videos of people losing their sh*t click on over to the Nightmares Fear Factory webpage.
Great Halloween Costume – The Ghost of Michael Jackson
See more great costume photos at the 2012 Halloween Costume Contest.
- Remember Nightmares Fear Factory Haunted House from last Halloween? They’re at it again. (gourmethorror.wordpress.com)
- The Art of Photographing People Being Scared Out of Their Minds (petapixel.com)