I always find conspiracy theories to be the most interesting aspect of the information age. The thought process fascinates me. I also love to see how conspiracy thinking breeds conspiracy thinking. There was a national telephone survey questioning 1247 registered US voters on 20 of the “Most Famous” conspiracy theories The response was, lets say, entertaining.
In no particular order.
- 13% President Barack Obama is the “Anti-Christ”
- 14% 1980′s Crack Cocaine epidemic was created by the CIA.
- 30% believe aliens visit us.
- 21% of voters say a UFO crashed in Roswell, NM in 1947 and the US government covered it up.
- 28% of voters believe secretive power elite with a globalist agenda is conspiring to eventually rule the world through an authoritarian world government, or New World Order.
- Voters are split 44%-45% on whether Bush intentionally misled about weapons of mass destruction in Iraq.
- 9% of voters think the government adds fluoride to our water supply for sinister reasons (not just dental health)
- 4% of voters say they believe “lizard people” control our societies by gaining political power.
- 51% of voters say a larger conspiracy was at work in the JFK assassination, just 25% say Oswald acted alone
- 14% of voters believe in Bigfoot.
- 15% of voters say the government or the media adds mind-controlling technology to TV broadcast signals
- 5% believe exhaust seen in the sky behind airplanes is actually chemicals sprayed by the government for sinister reasons
- 15% of voters think the medical industry and the pharmaceutical industry “invent” new diseases to make money.
- Just 5% of voters believe that Paul McCartney actually died in 1966.
- 6% of voters believe Osama bin Laden is still alive.
- 28% of voters believe Saddam Hussein was involved in the 9/11 attacks.
- 7% of voters think the moon landing was faked
- 20% of voters believe there is a link between childhood vaccines and autism.
- 37% of voters believe global warming is a hoax.
- 11% of voters believe the US government allowed 9/11 to happen.
To be generous this is a small number of people and may not be representative of the US as a whole. MY TAKE ON THE FINDINGS:
- President Obama been pretty ineffective as the Anti-Christ, I mean a whole first term and no nuclear holocaust. I guess you also have to believe in Christ to be concerned about the anti-Christ.
- Crack epidemic Sure why not? I mean all government agencies love it when their funding is stolen by competing departments…DEA?
- Aliens? Possible but I think it is nothing more than human arrogance that makes us believe that we would be interesting to advanced cultures.
- Conspiracy Theory Poll Results (publicpolicypolling.com)
- 28 Percent Of Americans Believe In Global New World Order Conspiracy (secretsofthefed.com)
- I dote on Conspiracy Theories (professorbainbridge.com)
- Poll Taps Into America’s Paranoia (miami.cbslocal.com)
- Conspiracy Theory Poll Results (wired.com)
- The craziest conspiracy theories (lunaticoutpost.com)
- Obama the antichrist? Global warming a myth? Lizard people controlling the world? Conspiracy theory research reveals bizarre beliefs prevalent in US (thetruthseeker.co.uk)